The Places I've Been

The Places I've Been
The countries that have fueled my wanderlust. Where to next?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Last Shall Be First

Excerpt from movie, The Bucket List: [Carter (Morgan Freeman) hands Edward (Jack Nicholson) an article about Kopi Luwak, Edward's favorite coffee...]
Carter: Read it.
Edward: [reading] Kopi Luwak is the world's most expensive coffee. Though for some, it falls under the category of "too good to be true." In the Sumatran village, where the beans are grown, lives a breed of wild tree cat. These cats eat the beans, digest them and then... defecate. [pauses] The Villagers then collect and process the stools. It is the combination of the beans and the gastric juices of the tree cat that give Kopi Luwac...[Carter starts laughing]
Edward: ...its unique flavor...and aroma. You're shitting me!
Carter: [laughing] No, the cats beat me to it!
[Carter and Edward both laugh hysterically.]
__________________________________________________________

Watching The Bucket List this past summer was the first time I had ever heard of this "Kopi Luwak" coffee, made from wild tree cat poo. I never actually thought I'd ever try it. But it just happened. Meet Aiel: he's a classmate of Kinsy's and is from the Philippines. He is a great cook and often comes over to our apartment to make us the traditional Adobo meat and rice, among other things. Last week he brought a priceless little jar of "Coffee Alamid, Philippine Civet Coffee." The Civet or "Paradoxurus Philippinensis" (the latin's for you, dad!) belongs to the mongoose family and lives in the Philippine Mountains. The Civet eats the coffee cherries and then defecates on the forest floor. Forest dwellers climb the mountain early in the morning to collect the wild Civet droppings to be made into a deliciously smooth cup of coffee. I'm serious. I'm not a coffee drinker unless there's half flavored creamer, but I was able to drink the Civet coffee without ANYTHING in it! Happiness IS...civet poo coffee.

Speaking of firsts... I went on the first date of my life last week. (I know, people don't believe me, but you have to understand that while I have many guy friends, I have always been the buddy. It is what it is.) Meet Ali: he's a Brooklyn native claiming to be an Egyptian prince- tall, dark and handsome, indeed. I met him on Valentine's day. After dancing the night away, he called me up and asked to take me out for dinner and wine. First date went well... he picked me up, dressed to the nines in a suit and long wool coat...I had a feeling that "26" was going to be a good year. ;)

My birthday adventures also included three firsts....
1. First Korean food experience...let me just say that Korean food is AMAZING! We had our SU reunion and Tri-Fectal Birthday Dinner at a place balled BonJoo, celebrating James Frew, Stephen Cook and me. Two other SU alums surprised me by showing up: Bobby Brennan and Will Hughes! It was awesome. We also had a former BonJoo waitress join our dinner party, providing complimentary appetizers, a pitcher of traditional Korean vodka called "Ku Soju", and teaching us the Korean cheers, "Kom Bei!" Afterwards, the boys all took me to their favorite gay bar, which leads me to my next first...
2. First time dancing at a gay bar...let me just say that i was the only woman in a bar PACKED with guys...and everyone respected my dancing space! I LOVE IT!
3. Friday night found me at Club Duvet, my first time in the NYC club scene...Duvet is known for its beds instead of couches and was featured on Sex and the City: Season 6, Episode 18 (thank you Kristen!). It had GREAT dancing and a good DJ...he played Punjabi MC...can't go wrong with that. Nelson is a promoter for the club: he had us all on the guestlist and had a complimentary bottle of champagne delivered to us. I did buy ONE drink from the bar.... it cost me $30...haha! :(.... first and LAST time making that mistake!

Speaking of Nelson, it is so good to have a friend here who finds enjoyment in exercise! He joined me for my first 8 mile run through the Bronx this weekend. Believe it or not, we found a trail that wound along a RIVER and through a forest (in the BRONX?!?!?!).

You better believe it! :)
Love,
Hana T.

1 comment: